Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Being Supernatural Underground -- I Count The Goodness

.
Today, I turned the key and opened up my post office box and found -- a little yellow card!

But being yellow carded via your post office box doesn't mean a hiatus in the sin bin. What it means is that there is a lovely mysterious package waiting for you inside the Post Office (or in this case, postal agency, but hey...)

Today, when I exchanged my yellow card for the package and opened it up, I was thrilled to find an advance reader edition of Kim Falconer's The Blood in the Beginning. O-o: awesome!

Needless to say, I am really looking forward to my chance to advance read -- one of the very many privileges of having Kim as both a friend and a fellow Supernatural Underground author.

Teresa Frohock is another friend and Supernatural Underground author, and having read so many of her fabulous posts right here on the SU it was inevitable that I was going to settle down with an e-reader and the Los Nefilim novellas.

When I finally did, just a week or so ago, I felt really glad that Teresa is a Supernatural Underground compadre, because it made me prioritise reading Los Nefilim -- and I really enjoyed the three linked novellas.

If you'd like to find out more about why I enjoyed them, you can read my book report here:
.

What I'm Reading: The Los Nefilim Trilogy by Teresa Frohock

Connecting with Kim and Teresa, and their books, made me think about what being part of a community of authors like SU is all about. I've decided that the key lies in the word "community".

Writing is a very solitary occupation, but being a group of writers means that we can share the highs and lows of our individual paths with others who "grok" what we're on about.

It also means we can support each other with our books, whether it's by reading and commenting, or doing interviews and giveaways. One really important way we do that is by boosting the Supernatural Underground signal -- just a way of saying hey, this is where we hang out and talk about some of the cool author stuff together.

I believe we have some fun with that -- which is kind of what community is all about and why I'm always glad to spend some time hanging out here.

If there's something about our hangout you like, or something you'd like to see more of, let us know in the comments. We've got out ears on -- because that's another great thing about the Supernatural Underground: it's the place where we get to hang out with all of you as well.

---

Helen Lowe is a novelist, poet, interviewer and blogger whose first novel, Thornspell (Knopf), was published to critical praise in 2008. Her second, The Heir of Night (The Wall Of Night Series, Book One) won the Gemmell Morningstar Award 2012. The sequel, The Gathering Of The Lost, was shortlisted for the Gemmell Legend Award in 2013. Daughter Of Blood, (The Wall Of Night, Book Three) was published on January 26, 2016. 

Helen posts regularly on her “…on Anything, Really” blogand is also on Twitter: @helenl0we



3 comments:

Kim Falconer said...

It is wonderful to receive those yellow cards (here, they are red, white and blue!) LOL

We love hanging out with you too, Helen. What a great community we have!

What I love most is we connected with each other AND with readers. Yay for the internet and social media.

:)

Helen Lowe said...

I love finding those yellow cards waiting for me because they (almost) always mean something fun, usually a book!

Speaking of fun, we should do something fun here when "The Blood In The Beginning" makes its debut, perhaps on the Twitter feed... Hmmmmm (mulls..)

Kim Falconer said...

I'm keen!