Thursday, October 3, 2013

Tis the witching hour: The one irrational fear of Amanda Arista

As you know, we are a blog dedicated to the sexy things that go bump in the night. So it really shouldn't surprise you that most of us aren't really afraid of the dark. We have demons, vampires, werewolves, and fey running through our heads most of the time. And those are the good guys. Each year, I take months to plan what scary little devil I'm going to be for Halloween.

With this new series that I am still working on, I've discovered that it takes a lot to scare me. If you've read the blog before, I grew up on a steady diet of serial killers and exorcism movies growing up. I'll take a good haunting any day. Doesn't phase me much.

Even it comes to the real world, I'm pretty much the same. No fear of flying. Heights don't bother me. I'm the girl who picks up the bugs in the office and takes them outside. I used to be squeamish around needles, but working in a hospital for eight years got me over that. I love deep water, have no problem with pitch black rooms, and don't mind being in a big crowd.

However, Hollywood has finally revealed to me what I am afraid of:
LARGE HORDES OF FAST-MOVING ZOMBIES

At least I can say it outloud now.

I had nightmares after seeing the first trailers of World War Z.
And its not that I don't love the zombie craze right now. I've watched every episode of The Walking Dead. Seen 28 Days Later. Read a few outbreak books including the book that the movie is named after (seriously, check out Cordyceps by Ian Duncan). Nothing stuck with me like the clip from the trailer of the zombies piling up on each other like ants.

Shivers.

It just freaks me out. And I don't know why. Its not like its actually going to happen. And if it does, I'll be the first to admit that I'm zombie bait. So why worry, right?

I have no idea!!

Just the thought of a horde of them, running after me, filling the street behind me as they stumble and crush others to get at my sweet meatiness just creeps me out!!

So there you have it. Hordes of Fast-Moving Zombies. Thank you Brad Pitt for showing me exactly what I'm afraid of and that even an alpha male like yourself can barely out run the threat (at least according to the trailers, 'cuz I'm never seeing that movie, or even reading the Wikipedia page).

--------------------------------------------------
Amanda Arista
Author, Diaries of an Urban Panther series
www.amandaarista.com

3 comments:

Helen Lowe said...

World War Z is one of my favorite books but not sure I want to see the movie either.:)

Terri Garey said...

Not a fan of zombies, but I LOVED World War Z!!

angelofthenight said...

I haven't read the books, but I saw the movie and loved it! As for everything else I wish I was as adventurous as you! :) My fear of heights, snakes & spiders gets me every time. lol