Sunday, January 3, 2016

2016: Year of the Like

Happy 2016 Everyone!

I am quickly typing this up as I watch the Bean roll around on the baby monitor, but I wanted to make sure that I got to reach out and type at you guys in this new year.

A New Year! We Did It!

The one thing that I want to leave behind in 2015 is all the negativity. I don't know how many articles, vlogs comments, news broadcasts I watched that were so filled with anger and hate and ignorance. Like Felicia Day, I sort of thought the internet was where we could find your kind of weird, but it turns out, you can also find your kind of hate or prejudice and wallow in it.

There is a function on Facebook that is starting to really bother me. The Like Button. Its a nice feature, but I think we as a Digital culture are getting lazy. Clicking a button was supposed to convey that you agreed with someone or wanted to support their cause. But with a new generation freaking out when only a 10 people like their selfie, I'm wondering if we are getting too focused on counts and not content.
When thumbs-up replace guns, the world is a better place!
(not a comment on gun control- just a funny)

So for 2016, I'm going not only put some nice out on the interwebs, but also explain why I like things. Give Kudos where Kudos is due. I'd like to explain what these TV shows, books, characters, actors, or whatever else inspire my life and what I think they can bring to yours. I want to be the change I want to see in the world. And if a few pictures of pretty boys will do that, so be it!

So for this month I like to 'Like' that we all have a clean slate. We are all given the choice to do something different this year. Resolutions or not, there is something very refreshing about the month of January so I hope you take a little time to figure out what you want to put out into the world this year.

Now go do it! Be the change!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amanda Arista
www.amandaarista.com

1 comment:

Kim Falconer said...

Amanda, I love this post. It's so inspiring.

I'm going to engage in the reflection too, saying why I LIKE, at least to myself, before I click.

It is a clean slate.

Thank you so much for reminding us!

I *LIKE* because you are awesome. :)