Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Playing hookie

I took the day off of work today. I caught a cold this weekend while walking in the rain with my husband. It was a little romantic but there is nothing romantic about a stuffy nose and fever.

So I'm sitting at home, wrapped up in my favorite sweater and an embarrassingly comfortable pair of lounge pants. And I've got the best medicine.

No its not the tea and honey I'm drinking from my TARDIS coffee mug.

No its not my puppies curled up next to me.

Its the unreal eyes of James Mcavoy. Every time I get sick, I reach for two movies: The Last Station and Penelope. There is just something about his twinkling smile and humble nature that just soothes all the aches and pains in my head.

These two movies not only speak to my complete adoration of Scottish men (I'm not allowed to go to Scotland by myself- husband's orders), but also to my story teller. The Last Station documents the last months of the great writer Leo Tolstoy. More importantly, its about his relationship with his wife, which apparently wasn't all romantic walks in the rain. It is a sweet look at love and life through the teal eyes of James' character. Penelope is a modern fairy tale about a girl who needs to love herself before she can be loved. I'm a sucker for a fairy tale and James plays the piano in it.

Sometimes its the simple things that make you feel better. A sweet movie, a cup of tea with jam (they drink loads of it in The Last Station), a warm blanket and some quiet.

What makes you feel better when you're sick? When you've had a rough day at work?
Hopefully its reading about your favorite Supernatural authors.

So I'm going to go back to the couch and watch a movie. Hope that this post finds you all happy and healthy and looking forward to this Halloween season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amanda Arista
Diaries of an Urban Panther
www.amandaarista.com

6 comments:

Amy Valentini said...

Sorry 'bout your cold, Amanda. I hope you feel better real soon.

When I'm sick with cold or flu, it's chicken soup in any form - especially egg drop that makes me feel better. Curling up on the couch to watch P & P (2005 version) or THE FIFTH ELEMENT (Bruce always makes me laugh) helps too. : )

Helen Lowe said...

Playing hookie is such fun--even just the feeling of taking time out when other folk are working is reinvigoratingly illicit. ;-)

Jennifer Harlow said...

I go the zombie route. Night Dawn Day of the Dead in order. Feels like I'm with my tribe as I lose about 100IQ points when I even have a cold. And there is moaning and bloodthirsty involved.

Feel better!

Sharon Stogner said...

I crawl into bed and tell the family to leave me alone and read-sleep-read-sleep-read. Hope you feel better soon.

Kim Falconer said...

Amanda, get well soon!

You're doing the right thing, taking time out and spending time with simple things you love.

For me, it's a hot bath with candles and essential oils, extra meditation, herbal teas and honey and homemade soup. If I'm watching the Matrix trilogy, all the better. (BTW have you guys seen the trailer for the new Wachowski brothers film, Cloud Atlas? Looks phenomenal!)

Thanks for your post, Amanda.

Kerrelyn Sparks said...

Got to agree with you about James MacAvoy! Beautiful eyes!!

Hope you get to feeling better!

Kerrelyn, also a sucker for the Scotsmen!